Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hyderabad Blues....

Heya fellows.. !!! :) :) :)


I am back …before the crimson shades could turn blue black out of negligence :P and this time with a renewed determination to never stop writing...


You must be surprised by the generic title of this post, but "Hyderabad Blues" would be the name of the post had been decided by me the day I stepped into this city and thought of penning down my experiences. I moved to Hyderabad, in the mid of January. As I landed at the Rajeev Gandhi International Airport, Shamshabad I was impressed…it was huge and one of the finest in the country.
The narrow lanes of Chaarminar

New job, new city, new people... The initial feeling was that of excitement but no…not for long! The excitement vanished within a couple of days as I experienced a cultural shock. Different faces, talking in different tones and accents… all that they said was beyond my comprehension. Office was warm, with friendly people around but the communication gap persisted. I realized I was missing Chandigarh...Or maybe I was missing the flavor of North India.

But nevertheless, I kept telling myself... Hyderabad is a metro... Chandigarh was a small city, sooner or later you gotta come out it if you want to make your dreams come true. The good part was that since I had been putting up with my relatives, I wasn’t homesick..Frequent long drives to Hi-tech City, Jubilee Hills, Banjara Hills and the likes of these areas kept me convinced of the expected ultra modern look of the city. The glitzy façade of Hi Tech city would remind of you of IT professionals and the look is much like that of a miniature IT park, Chandigarh. Young boys and girls zoom around these roads all the time flaunting their flashy BMWs, Porsches, Audis and what not!

Food here is awesome, for those of you who love…treating your taste buds to non vegetarian food...Hyderabad is the place to be! Roll out your tongues and you can have the tastiest OF Biryani and Fish, the most famous being Apollo Fish. South Indian is a good change initially, but then at the end of the day I craved for Chapatis.

And now looking at the city from another perspective, People here are very simple and hard working. Dressed in simple cotton sarees, the ladies still look pretty (in their own ways) and the men make an all together different style statement...Coming to office in pants, shirts...But with CHAPPALS! I did find all this hilarious initially … but am getting used to it now.

The city is charming and has a unique identity of its own … The Irani cafe which is located in almost every street...Serves some special biscuits called the Osmania biscuits along with delicious milky tea. A friend told me about the world famous Bangle Market in Charminar…and I could not wait long to visit that place. Though I went to visit Charminar I ended up spending 5 hours in Laad Bazar... With bangles right and left I almost went crazy shopping. In the galis of Charminar an all together different world exists…old conservative people, mostly Muslims, fluttering of the pigeons are a common sight. Occasionally one may hear voices reciting the Quran...


The World Famous Laad Bazar, also finds its mention in the Guinness book of world records.

All in all though it is too early to arrive at a judgment but I can still say Hyderabad is a metro with people from multi ethnic and multicultural back grounds...a massive population of several lakhs living together in harmony.

In short a multi ethnic city on the fast track...!!!


5 comments:

LALOOS DIGITAL SEVA said...

cool..............

Anonymous said...

you are looking right through it..:).I moved in around the same time..dont know if you've noticed most of the times you don't have to ask names here..all of 'em are wearing those ID's around their neck..

Cheers,
bluesmoke

Anonymous said...

"Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question ...
Oh, do not ask, "What is it?"
-------------- T.S Eliot

Rachel C Miller said...

Welcome Back! I am happy to hear you are continuing your writing.

PaRUL SooD said...

hey rachel..so happy to hear from you :)

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, debate or support the writing. What you truly felt is all that matters!